Question  & Answer

 Some common questions answered…


Is this a strata development? 

No, this is a fee simple title development served by a private road that is owned by the lot owners. It is possible that some strata lots maybe added in the future, however none at this time.

When will lots be ready for building? 

Completion dates on construction projects are difficult to accurately predict, however we expect to be ready for the start of home construction by  summer or early fall 2017. 

Who looks after the gate and the road?  What will it cost?  

The Boss Creek Road Society will be privately owned by the Boss Creek development landowners and initially operated by the Developer. The Society will manage the road, trail and gate maintenance. The first year cost is estimated to be $322.00 per lot annually, however this estimate is dependent of snowfall and road cleanup needed as a result of home construction. Total maintenance for the first full year expense is estimated to be $5,800 including snow removal, sweeping, road, trail & gate maintenance, insurance & accounting/management. Based on the current estimate, $3,867 will be paid by the lot owners, including unsold lots owned by the developer and remaining balance of $1,933 will be to be contributed by the Developer for the undeveloped land plus any excess cost that may be incurred.

What utility services are available?

Electricity - BC Hydro

Water - Regional District/Greater Vernon Water - connection fees - 

Application fee - $120

Meter - $355

Main house - already paid in lot purchase

Guest house/ancilliary building - $2,180 each

Added suite in main house - $1,090

Natural Gas - FortisBC Inc.

Cable, telephone & Internet - Shaw Cable & Telus

Is the internet high speed?  

Shaw Cable who is the highest rated internet provider in Canada will be supplying high speed internet. Their service will provide fiber optic service to  the entry area of Boss Creek with 2Gb cable speeds throughout the Boss Creek development. Being a new development, we have been assured by Shaw that the Boss Creek service will be equal to or better than the best quality, highest speed service available in the Okanagan Valley. Shaw brochure information is available on request

What is approx. cost of a septic system?  

The septic system cost will vary dependent on the size required, which in turn is determined by the size of the home and number of residents anticipated. A typical 5-person family home will require a system that is estimated to cost about $22,000 

What is a Type 2 system? 

A Type 2 septic system is an upgraded design from the older historical designed systems that includes the concept of a small pump that provides an aeration system that aids in the breakdown of waste materials. This system in conjunction with an annual professional inspection virtually guarantees a system without problems   

Is the area for the septic system predetermined on the lot?  

Yes, each lot has had areas tested by a Professional and approved by Provincial Interior Health to guarantee that adequate septic fields exist on your lot

Is there more development after these lots are sold? 

Yes more development is planned for the future. Under current zoning, approximately 40 lots in total may be developed ranging in size from 2.5 acres to some larger 75-acre lots higher on the hill.

Will future lots have the same design controls as this development?  

Each Phase of development will have a similar set of Design, Construction and Use Guidelines to the current Guidelines you have been provided for Phase 1 Amended. The intention is to ensure that the entire development area maintain a similar quality structure with ownership by like-minded individuals


Will they (new lots) share the road?

Yes, future Phases on the Boss Creek land will share the road, and the cost of its maintenance. Also remember that as more development is added, you will have the privilege of using the road to access Crown Land at the top of the hill via this road, a right that is limited to residents and their invitees only.

 What happens if a builder or owner causes damage to the road during construction? 

Any builder, owner or contractor causing damage to the roads will be responsible for repair. Serious damage is unlikely because the roads are being constructed to standards approved by the Provincial Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure.

Can I have animals?  Horses?  Chickens? 

We are a rural development and animals are part of the rural lifestyle. Some guidelines as to the number of animals you may have is dealt with in the Design, Construction & Use Guidelines. Additionally, the Regional District has some very specific restrictions within their zoning bylaw. In principle, the idea is that you may have animals provided that you are careful not to cause undue annoyance to your neighbours. Common sense is a good guide to use. For instance roosters can be very annoying if they are close to your bedroom window when you are trying to sleep at 5:00 am, or manure piles not properly looked after that cause flies. These are issues that come along with living with animals and will be regulated as needed.

 Can I build a barn?  Can I ride my horse to the crown land in behind? 

Yes, you may build a barn provided the plans are submitted and approved as to design, and location on your lot by the Design Review Committee, and yes you can ride on the trails up to Crown land.

What school do children go to? Does the bus come up the hill? 

Go to:

Hillview Elementary (AM bus Schedule)



Vernon Senior Secondary schools


8:12 VSS


Can I bring my own builder?  What does my builder have to do? 

Yes, you can determine the builder you want to build your home. The Owner and Builder will need to submit plans to the Regional District and Design Review Committee before starting construction and receive approval.

Can I build anywhere I want on the lot or is there a designated area?  Will my privacy be protected?  

Each lot has an area that has been selected as the preferred building location. If this location does not suit you, a change may be negotiated with the Developer and the DRC provided the change does not encroach on privacy and other concerns associate with neighbouring lots. One of the main reasons for the large lot concept is to ensure privacy for the occupants of each home - each lot building envelope has been selected to attain this goal, and any changes allowed to a building envelope will need to continue honoring this goal.

Are there restrictions to what kind of house I can build?

The opening statement in the Design Guidelines says “that a house is not to be built on the hill, but is to be of the hill” - so if you want to build a home that shouts “I am here” then Boss Creek is not for you. In general most styles of architecture that blend into the natural landscape of the Boss Creek will be fine. Many suggestions are contained in the Design Guidelines, and are recommended reading for anyone considering building at Boss Creek.    

Can I have a shop?  How big?  What can I do in the shop? 

The shop size is somewhat dependent on the lot itself as the shop must not dominate the area and good  architectural design must prevail. There is no specific size limitation and most lots can comfortably accommodate up to 5,000 sq ft of shop area. The design of the shop must compliment the design of the main house. Total lot coverage is limited to 15% of the overall lot size. Most shop oriented activities are acceptable as long as common sense is used and the activities do not cause disturbance to the neighbouring  residents by way of noise, fumes/odors or bright lights etc.

Can I have a suite or a carriage house?  How big?   Would it be connected to the same septic etc? 

A guest house, or “Ancillary Dwelling unit” as it is referred to by RDNO is allowed so long as it does not exceed 807 sq ft. plus carport and storage area. While a separate septic system is possible, it is likely most efficient to connect into a single main septic system that is shared with the main house. A separate suite may also be incorporated into the main house if wanted.


Will there be a problem getting fire insurance in this treed area?  Will it more expensive ?

We are in the BX Fire district and within the travel distance required by most insurance companies, and the area will be serviced within about 3 years to provide fire hydrants. Most insurance companies have no problem providing insurance. Premiums are the decision of each insurance company, so it will be good to consult you insurance company about rates.

Who looks after the trail system ?

There are some public trails on the property that will be looked after by RDNO parks. The private trails are covered as a part of the general maintenance fee for the roads, gates, lights etc.

What happens if an owner or more importantly, a visitor of an owner has an accident on the road?  If the Society didn’t sand the road that day for example…could the Society be liable and who pays ?

The Society will be covered by a liability insurance policy with at least a $5,000,000 limit - cost is estimated at $750 per year as estimated by Capri Insurance (Vernon).

Early in Disclosure there was mention of a Professional Property Management Company.  Is that mandatory ?  

Yes, it is intended that the professional management will be mandatory so as to ensure that the project is managed professionally with the least development is turned over to the residents.

is there an actual budget for the Common Road? 

Budget for the first full year for Phase 1 Amended is still being worked on, however the current estimate is $6,800 per year including insurance and outside professional management for the first full year of operation, or $322 per lot ( a cost of $12,000 total is the estimate when 30 lots are developed).

If the Society borrows large sum of $ to service/maintain the Common lot, does that balance reflect on each lot owner?  Just wondering if any the impact on individuals financing – both seller and buyer?

We do not expect the Society to borrow money for maintenance - that must be paid by the Owners on a monthly basis.


Under the Statutory Building Scheme and the Schedule of Restrictions – what does Item 5 mean?

Sect 5 of the Statutory Building Scheme means the Guidelines for any lots unsold and still owned by the developer may be changed for those lots in the future. Given that continuity is clearly in the best interests of the developer, any changes made are likely to benefit the development as a whole.

Under Design, Construction and Use Guideline - every lot must submit an irrigation plan for any landscaping area is clear.   AND says must supply a plan and water to maintain the ‘natural’ area of the lot in cases of drought?  Not clear on what that means? 

In the case of an abnormal drought condition it is the responsibility of the lot owner to keep the vegetation (mainly the trees) from dying and causing an unsightly mass of dead and dying trees as well as causing an undue fire hazard.

Lot transfer cost

initially Boss Creek will pay $1500 to the Society when a lot is transferred to the first owner to cover cost of registration accounting and changes to Society documentation if needed.  For subsequent resales the fee of $1,500 will be paid at closing by the lot owner who is selling to cover costs to the Society.  This fee may be varied by the members of the Society in the future to reflect the transfer/legal cost.

Call us at 250-275-4981 or email                        Copyright © 2016 Boss Creek Development Ltd